Sunday, September 9, 2018

BROKEN JUST ABOUT ECERYTHING BUT MY WORD''

BROKEN JUST ABOUT ECERYTHING BUT MY WORD''
I have been asked if this sculpture is a self-portrait. It sure could have been. I have suffered a few injuries in my rodeo career and while working horses. I started rodeo when I was 16, by competing on bulls and broncs, then switched to team roping (in which I still compete). To date, I have had my front teeth knocked out; dislocated my left and right shoulders; broke my right and left collarbone; suffered 12 broken ribs and a collapsed left lung; busted my left thumb and right hand; broke my left shoulder blade; and had five concussions. I have had three surgeries to repair my left shoulder, left collarbone, and my right hand. In rodeo, it is not if you are going to get hurt⎯it’s when and how bad.
I believe being a rodeo cowboy was good training in becoming a professional artist. You have to be physically and mentally tough and learn to compete when you are hurt. You don't get paid unless you come through and deliver. When you get knocked down or bucked off, you just keep getting up and getting back on. You never know what you can do unless you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment