Friday, October 26, 2018

RING OF PEACE

RING OF PEACE Bronze and Stainless Steel Monumental Bronze, 19’ x 4’ x 3.5’ I created this sculpture in memory of Matthew Shepard, the University of Wyoming student who was killed in 1998. The 19-foot tall memorial is located in Casper, Wyoming. I was driving home to Wyoming from Texas in 1998 after delivering a monument when my wife Lynne called to tell me that Judy Shepard, Matthew’s mother, wanted to talk to me about a memorial to her son. Later, from my motel room, I awoke at 3 a.m. I have a habit of keeping a pen and paper next to my bed, so I quickly made note of my thoughts before falling back to sleep. The next morning, I noticed my sketch and the accompanying poem that had come to me as a dream. As I looked at it, I knew I would create this sculpture.
THE RING OF PEACE
If you believe in hope
And the need for peace,
Step up and ring the bell,
So it will sing
For the promise of tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment