Wednesday, September 2, 2015

I had the honor to present the first annual Mick McMurry Cowboy Ethics Award

Yesterday I had the honor to present the first annual Mick McMurry Cowboy Ethics Award at The Boys and Girls Club banquet. There were over 1200 people in attendance this is the speech I made when I presented the award. 
It is said that what makes a man special and great is by how he makes a difference in others life's. That is especially true in the life of Mick McMurry. I know he made a difference in my own life just as he did in the lives of so many of us here today. Mick was a great man, a friend, someone I had a lot of respect for. A few years back Mick gave me a book ‘’Cowboy Ethics by James Owen. I remember at the time it made me feel special. Later I found that Mick gave away over 5000 copies of that book. The book is about the Code of the West. Ride for the brand, Live each day with courage, Take pride in your work, Be tough but fair, Do what has to be done. It is full of cowboy wisdom and that a man's word is his bond! Mick told me it was something he really believed in and wanted to live his life by that code. Mick also showed me his logo and brand he designed on a napkin with his partner John Martin I know he was very proud of that brand.
I was extremely saddened when I heard of Micks passing. It touched my soul and made me want to do something special for a man who has done so much good for so many others. I decided to create a bronze sculpture in his memory. This sculpture will be given annually as an award to someone in Wyoming. To recognize and show appreciation to those who pay it forward and give back to others. Just as Mick McMurray who led by example with his own generosity and compassion. It is my dream this award will help keep Mick's memory and generous spirit alive. And inspire others to give back with open hearts and realize that being generous is not just in some of us but in all of us. I would also like to thank George Bryce Mark Zaback & Ashley Bright for their support and guidance on presenting this award.
I can think of no one more deserving. It is a great honor and privilege to present the 2015 Mick McMurry Cowboy Ethics award to Susie McMurry

No comments:

Post a Comment