Wednesday, March 16, 2016

SPIRIT OF THE THUNDERBIRD


SPIRIT OF THE THUNDERBIRD (1995) Monumental Bronze, 15’ x 11‘ This monument was another self commission with the help of Bill Landen who I went to Casper College with. We were at a youth hockey game when he told me I should do a monument for Casper College and raise the funds like I did when I created the Champion Lane Frost Monument. I told him I would and with his help we were able to get it done by finding donors for $1000. and giving them an 18'' smaller bronze of the monument. I believed by giving donors something of value back for their donation it would be successful and it is proof that the more you give back the more good you receive in your life.
Spirit of the Thunderbird depicts the Native American warrior eagle dancer who has long been the logo and mascot for Casper College. Reverence for the half-man, half-eagle mythological figure was prevalent among all tribes. They believed the Thunderbird’s shadow was a storm cloud. The flapping of his wings made the sound of thunder, and the rapid opening and closing of his flashing eyes sent forth lightning. These mystical powers brought the rain that replenished Mother Earth, and they tested man's belief in the power of the Great Mystery in the sky above the earth. This bronze monumental sculpture is located at Casper College in Casper, Wyoming, where I attended school. cnavarroart.com

No comments:

Post a Comment