Tuesday, March 1, 2016

This weekend I received The Wyoming Arts Council 2015 Governor's Art Award.

This weekend I received The Wyoming Arts Council 2015 Governor's Art Award. 
I have been extremely fortunate to make my living with my art for the last 30 years. I was 23 years old and did not have much going for me when I started sculpting. I had no money or formal training in art. However I was full of confidence and ignorance. 
The creation of monuments is extremely time consuming and labor intensive. I find the labor gives me great satisfaction. All artist want to live on in their work. Knowing my work will be standing in the sun long after I’m gone for future generations to experience and enjoy is extremely rewarding’’ Sculpting is what I do for a living, I don’t ever plan on retiring. I have found something I really love and have a passion for. I hope others can see that through the works I have created because in the end it is not about how many years you lived in this world but what you leave behind that truly matters.
March 13, 1986 is the date I quit my corporate oilfield job and predictable income to pursue my dream of being a professional sculptor. My son JC was ten months old and my wife Lynne was pregnant with our daughter Natalie. Everyone told me it was the wrong decision. I had two kids and a mortgage and a family to support. However there are times in life when you have to make a stand and turn your dreams into reality. I just knew it, I knew it deep inside. I believed my instincts. So listening to my heart and trusting my gut I took a leap of faith. If you really want something bad enough you have to be willing to take a chance and put in the effort to make it happen. I wanted to make a living doing something I had a love and passion for and not spend my life just showing up for a steady pay stub at the end of the week.
There are always going to be negative people and haters out there. People who will want to tear you down and find fault. They believe by tearing you down it helps build themselves up. Never let your happiness be determined by what’s going on in someone else’s head. You have no control over that. What is really important is how you see yourself and what is going on in your own head.
‘’Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great.’’-Mark Twain
It is important to keep your sense of humor in all things, because humor is the armor that protects you in life. It is the great lubricant that makes the difficult things easier to bear. Be able to laugh at yourself and roll with the punches.
I know seeing Harry Jackson sculptures made me want to become a sculptor. When others look at my life’s work I hope they are inspired to see hope and to live life with determination. My advice is to never give up and do not take no for an answer. Believe in yourself when no one else does. Do not be afraid of failure or being knocked down. Just keep getting up and do the best you can with what’s in front of you. It is a waste of time to worry about the amount of talent you have or don’t have. With work you can make your talent and knowledge grow. Desire, determination and dedication are the ingredients of success in any field. To be successful at something you care about is a matter of being someone who does not quit and that ability is available to everyone. You never really know what you can do until you try. Remember you create your reality and every expert in any field was once a beginner. You can’t let the fear of the unknown keep you from following your dreams. Do not be afraid to embrace the struggles in life. Go out there and make a living doing something you have a passion and love for. Life is too short not to!

No comments:

Post a Comment