Wednesday, January 31, 2018

SPIRIT OF THE THUNDERBIRD




I try to tell a story with my art and I want to share some of the stories behind the sculptures I have   created. chrisnavarro.com SPIRIT OF THE THUNDERBIRD Bronze, 41’’ x 24’’x 11’’ Monumental Bronze, 15’ x 11‘ x 4’ Spirit of the Thunderbird depicts the Native American warrior medicine man in his ritual dance. Reverence for the half-man, half-eagle mythological figure was prevalent among all tribes. They believed the Thunderbird’s shadow was a storm cloud. The flapping of his wings made the sound of thunder, and the rapid opening and closing of his flashing eyes sent forth lightning. These mystical powers brought the rain that replenished Mother Earth, and they tested man's belief in the power of the Great Mystery in the sky above the earth. This bronze monumental sculpture is located at Casper College in Casper, Wyoming, where I attended school.

No comments:

Post a Comment